World Stroke Day on October 29th 2021 and 2022 will focus on improving awareness of stroke symptoms with an emotional campaign that aims to highlight what can be saved if we all know the signs of stroke and call for an ambulance immediately.
Studies have shown the impact of FAST campaigns on reducing the time from stroke to treatment as well as the need for continuous reminders in order to maintain retention of the three key signs. Delivery of game-changing stroke treatments, the benefits of thrombolysis and thrombectomy are highest if administered within a relatively short period of time and even in settings where these treatments are not available, the application of specific assessment and treatment protocols, for example swallowing checks that reduce risks of pneumonia and malnutrition, mobility assessments and access to rehabilitation can all make a difference to survival and quality of life.
World Stroke Day will focus on what can be saved by acting FAST with a combination of emotive materials and online image frames that can be used by stroke clinicians, survivors, families and friends to share their stories that highlight the importance of timely treatment.
In addition to the member toolkit and social media campaign the Campaign will also feature:
- High level online interactive panel event
- Social media influencer engagement
- Campaign skills bootcamp webinar series
- Public information leaflets about stroke symptoms and acute treatments
- Clock lighting in World Stroke Campaign colours around the world
- PR distribution and media outreach highlighting issues in access to acute treatment
What WSO members can do now
Start to gather health professional, survivor and caregiver testimonials about your experience of what can be saved/or what was lost because the people around you did or didn’t recognize the signs of stroke.
- Explore the potential to light up a local landmark clock in campaign indigo blue
- Think about ideas to communicate FAST to your communities and share them with us
- Engage with your local schools and sign up to become a FAST Heroes delivery partner
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to share ideas about how to make the world aware of stroke symptoms on Oct 29th 2021.