How significant an issue is stroke for the population of Peru?
In Peru, stroke represents the second cause of mortality, and is among the main causes of disability, it is considered a serious public health problem.
What is the level of stroke awareness in your community - how does public knowledge impact on stroke outcomes in Peru?
The level of stroke awareness in around 30%, and varies according to socioeconomic status and geographic area. The public knowledge could increase symptoms recognition of stroke and could decrease hospital arrival times. This could increment reperfusion treatment and improve stroke outcomes
Tell us about your biggest challenge and your biggest achievement in your effort to raise stroke awareness in Peru?
The achievements we have reached to date are the National Telestroke Guidelines and the certification of the National Institute of Neurological Sciences as a Stroke Center. Our main challenge is to create and implement the National Stroke Prevention and Control Program together with the Ministry of Health.
Your institution received an award from WSO for your campaign work. What would you say was the critical success factor for your campaign?
The main factors were the commitment of the team and the alliances with other public and private organizations.
What are some of your personal highlights from World Stroke day 2022?
The highlights of the World Stroke Campaign 2022 in Peru were:
- A Soccer championship against stroke, activity that had the participation of soccer teams composed of multidisciplinary teams from different hospitals.
- Education in stroke through Telehealth to the population to show stroke messages about prevention, awareness of signs and symptoms of stroke, and the need for urgent treatment.
- Promotion of physical activity at gyms, participating in their exercise routine and sharing stroke education materials
- Prehospital care simulation for stroke patients together with the Mobile Emergency Care System (SAMU), organized a simulation of stroke symptoms and patient transportation at a public space in Lima.
- Medical campaign against stroke consisting of neurological consult, screening for glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides and stroke prevention activities.
- Artistic evening in the Magical Water Circuit in Lima. This activity consisted of the illumination of all water fountains with the colors of the campaign, blue and green, projected videos about the campaign in the central fountain and the presentation of famous singers, a famous magician, and beauty queens.
- Parade in the streets of Lima, there participated the stroke center team and most of the workers of the National Institute of Neurological Sciences and other organizations, the delegations carried banners with the messages of the campaign.
- Entrance to 9 playing fields of stadiums at the Peruvian Professional Soccer League, showing the messages of the campaign, on the last date of the Professional Peruvian soccer championship.