The main aim of the course is to complement the training in cerebrovascular disease of young neurologists, clinicians, cardiologists and ICU physicians with interest in this area. In this edition, priority will also be given to those who are part of centers that have completed the Certification of Stroke Centers of the WSO/SIECV or are in the process of certification.
The activity will consist of conferences, workshops, active participation in Stroke rounds, Stroke Unit observership and assistance to outpatient clinic. The summer school will take place both at the Stroke Center of Fleni (a private institute) and the Neurology Division of J. M. Ramos Mejía Hospital (a public hospital), in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The participants must achieve the following goals:
- To establish diagnostic and treatment strategies, combining clinical interpretations with bibliographic update.
- To actively participate in the discussion of neurological cases.
- To incorporate the methodology of study and management of patients with cerebrovascular disease, including neurological examination, laboratory, neurophysiological and imaging studies.
- To have a full approach to the stroke patient.
- To learn how to manage patients with stroke, both in the acute and outpatient settings.
- To learn basic principles of stroke rehabilitation.
- To learn the basic activities of a Stroke Unit.
- To understand the selection criteria and principal aspects of intravenous thrombolysis and mechanical thrombectomy.
- To exchange knowledge and experience with peers.
- To incorporate knowledge through critical reading of the most relevant literature.
Buenos Aires, Montaneses 2325,
Achieving our vision of a life free from stroke is a task that WSO cannot achieve alone. We are committed to building our partnerships at the global, regional and national level to scale up and deliver improvements in prevention, treatment and support to reduce the burden of stroke.