ORBI Stroke Foundation started by helping stroke survivors and their families, and today its programs address the issues related to stroke prevention and timely diagnosis. We help people to recover after a stroke, teach family members how to care for the survivors and provide psychological support. Moreover, the Foundation’s objectives also include sharing information about stroke symptoms to ensure that those who are having a stroke get prompt medical help, and organizing awareness campaigns on how to prevent yourself and relatives from having a stroke.
We are working to decrease the incidence of stroke in Russia and to alleviate the effects of stroke on the survivors and their families.
The programs of the Foundation include:
● Practical courses for families and social workers on proper care of stroke survivors;
● Stroke Helpline - 8 800 707 52 29, where every Russian resident affected by stroke can get information and physiological support;
● Helping specialized facilities providing advance training to medical personnel who work in stroke rehabilitation, as well as purchasing equipment for social and medical rehabilitation of stroke patients;
● Awareness campaigns about stroke symptoms, where we inform people of how to promptly spot stroke symptoms so that the person can get medical treatment as soon as possible;
● Stroke prevention – we try to inform as many people as we can about that strokes are preventable and what to do to avoid it;
● Targeted assistance. A person from any settlement in Russia can apply for assistance.
We help with getting social support, finding experts in the relevant region of the country, organizing the rehabilitation, fundraising for medical expenses.
During the COVID 19 pandemic we have launched online counseling regarding home care for stroke patients. The caregiver specialist and occupational therapist advise how to adapt the house to meet the patient’s needs and make it more convenient and safe, while a speech therapist helps those with communication difficulties.
In self-isolation people are not as active as they used to be, and this factor significantly increases the risk of stroke. So ORBI Foundation joggers club has started a home challenge to motivate people to stay active at home and exercise, monitoring daily activities with a phone or watch tracker.
For more information on the ORBI Foundation and to access resources please visit: https://orbifond.ru/